History of Pampa, Gray County, Texas

In 1888 a telegraph station on the Southern Kansas Railroad developed here, and was named Glasgow. Renamed Sutton a year later, a post office was established in 1892 and the town was named Pampa by George Tyng (d. 1906), manager of the White Deer Land Company. The first school opened in 1903 and the first church was organized in 1906. J. N. Duncan (1858 - 1941) became Pampa's first mayor in 1912. Following a 1920's oil boom, the county seat was moved here from Lefors in 1928.

According to records at White Deer Land Museum, the town was laid out by James L. Gray of Panhandle in 1902 and recorded and filed in Roberts County April 14 of that year. A. H. Doucette first came to Pampa in April of l906 and surveyed many of the additions to the original plat of Pampa. He also laid out the townsites of Hoover, Kingsmill, White Deer, and Cuyler.

The information for the construction of this Web site was provided by the White Deer Land Museum in Pampa. The museum's home is the 80 year old restored Land Office Building, dedicated to early pioneers and the Western heritage of Texas and Gray County. Guided tours are available Tuesday through Sunday from 1 to 4 PM. Special tours are arranged by appointment. The Curator is Anne Davidson. The museum is located at 116 S. Cuyler, Pampa, Texas 79065. Phone number is (806)669-8041.

Last Update: 10/6/2013
Web Author: David White
Email:wn5y at yahoo.com